2.16.2012

What an awesome speech.

Via the Etsy blog, I came across this amazing TED speech with Sir Ken Robinson:

Sir Ken Robinson: Bring on the learning revolution! from Beaver Country Day School on Vimeo.

I attended public school growing up and although I had fairly small classes, some personalized attention, and a great variety of extracurricular activities, there definitely was not enough focus on individual interests or natural talents.  There was always too much emphasis on getting good grades in all classes rather than focusing to shine in the classes that spoke to us the most.

There was pressure in getting into the "right" school and getting the "right" job from a young age.  I remember being told that colleges looked at your middle school transcripts as well (that's 6-8th grade!) so you better not slack off in any subject and you better start building up your portfolio...  Although I am really grateful for the education I received and for having some standout teachers, I really just wonder how different my life would be if I was allowed to pursue the arts from, let's say, age five.  Art was always my favorite class -- I even remember in first grade writing that I wanted to be an artist when I grew up.  But nowhere along the way was it expressed that being an artist was an option.  Maybe an art teacher, but never an artist.  That idea was never implanted in my head until I put it there when I was 28 years old.

But everything does happen for a reason.  And after an eclectic peppering of professional and educational experiences underwing, I would not have found my personal artistic style and I would not appreciate being able to do my work as much as I do because of everything I've been through to get to this point.  I cherish what I do more than anything.

Anyhoo, I hope all of you out there give yourself permission to follow your hearts (regardless of your age and/or education) because even if there are some hurdles to jump over, it may be the best thing you've ever done for yourself.

xoxo,
Virginia

3 comments:

  1. Virginia,
    I couldn't agree more! I had the exact same experience growing up. I am glad you are now doing what you love. Best of luck to you, you are so talented!
    keep your fingers crossed for me, I am still trying to get there!
    Denise Barker
    Denisekbarker@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virginia,
    I couldn't agree more! I had the same experience growing up. I am happy that you are now doing what you love - you are so talented!
    keep your fingers crossed for me, I am still trying to get there!
    All the best,
    Denise Barker
    Denisekbarker@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Denise!

      Thank you so very much. I believe whole-heartedly that you will get there :) Just never give up and remember to keep your chin up high! I like to think that however much positive energy and time we put into something, if you are patient and persistent enough, it will materialize into something closer to your goal (and eventually it might even turn into goal or something even better!). I hope that made sense. Just remember that we all are constantly reinventing ourselves, so give yourself permission to do the same. :) Best of luck to you.

      xo,
      Virginia

      Delete