2.15.2012

Juice juice juice!

And now a note on juicing.  And I mean the green, leafy kind.  ;)

I started juicing veggies this year a) because of all the health benefits (there's about a gazillion!) b) the health benefits are so amazing I have to mention them twice and c) because I have hypoglycemia and I'm determined to keep myself balanced every day.

And so, I've become completely obsessed with juicing.  It detoxes your body like you wouldn't believe and adds a real kick to your step.  For someone who has had daily bouts of brain fog since she can remember, it has been a real help in keeping me focused *and* awake.

I almost feel like Jim Carrey in this funny Juice Weasel skit back when he was on In Living Color:


Anyhoo, it's become such a huge part of my life that I had to share.  Do you juice?  I'd love to hear from you and any recipes you may love.

Here's a recipe I made up that is seriously yum-ola.  And make sure it's all organic produce!!

Organic Goodness

Kale (3)
Collard Greens (2 medium)
Asparagus (2)
Dandelion (handful)
Carrot (1)
Ginger (1 inch chunk, peeled)
Lemon (1 whole, peeled)
Parsley (handful)
Cilantro (handful)
Cucumber (1/2 with skin)
Celery (3 stalks with leaves)
Green Apple (1 medium, no seeds)

xoxo,
Virginia

3 comments:

  1. What kind of juicer do you have? I've been thinkin about it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly!!

      After tons of research (my whole family is obsessed with juicing), the best kind of juicer to get is a twin-gear (they're slower and retain much more nutrients than those fast-speed really loud juicers you see that actually heat up your juice). When you have a cheaper juicer, sure they "juice", but the whole point is getting all those vitamins and the live energy from the vegetables, not burning them up. I have the Omega VRT350. This one is great because it's not loud, is easy to clean, is slim for your counter, and looks like a normal appliance (some look crazy or are huge and bulky). Here is a link to the one I got on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Omega-VRT350-Dual-Stage-Vertical-Single/dp/B00434JINO

      It is an investment (I asked for one for Christmas), but not to sound like some weird juice guru on an infomercial, the benefits are amazing and it's totally worth it. A really great article and must-watch interview is here: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/02/cherie-calbom-on-juicing-part-1.aspx

      On top of thinking clearer, being more energetic, being more inspired, feeling lighter, the juice has kept me super healthy this winter and I don't even worry about being around sick people because my immune system is happy.

      The juicer might be a bit pricey, but for what it does (and then the longterm effects!) are beyond worth it. Your health and well-being are top priority.

      The top misperception I had about green juicing was that I thought it would taste horrible. Well, most receipts are delicious and you wouldn't even know that you're actually consuming 12 vegetables whole. Just remember that when you juice, your produce MUST be organic. It would be pointless to juice all the pesticides and chemicals and get that into your bloodstream.

      If you have any questions, let me know! I really recommend this for everyone. :D

      xoxo,
      Virginia

      Delete
    2. whoops typo, "recipes" not "receipts" ;)

      Delete