7.13.2009

Five Things with Julia Pott!

I am seriously delighted to have Julia Pott, the illustrator/animator extraordinaire here today!
Please Come Home 5 x 7 Print
1. So Julia, what's the cutest thing in the world?
I just got back from a two month stint in New York, and although I wasn't much of a dog lover before I left I now can't get enough of them. I know it's a cliche but pomeranians and the most ridiculously cute and fluffy little things I've ever seen, I found myself starting conversations with their owners in the street just so I would have a reason I stay around them longer. Also Fennec Foxes and Red Panda's - ridiculous and so so soft. 
2. The yummiest thing?
Everything is yummy, I am constantly thinking about what I am going to eat next (although perhaps I shouldn't admit that). I am a big sucker for spaghetti bolognese and any of my friends would tell you that I have the biggest sweet tooth. I usually rack up a £10 pick and mix bill every time I go to the cinema and I have a sweet drawer in my studio that get's raided far too often. I actually need to go have a root canal next week due to my frivilous candy eating, so heed this warning!
Cat and Dog 5 x 7 Print
3. A music album you think everyone should own?
That's a difficult one. One album I never get sick of however much I listen to it is The Glow Pt.2 by The Microphones, I listen to that a lot while I'm working and it's really relaxing but very sad at the same time. 
4. The most beautiful place (real or fiction)?
To me the most beautiful place is my Grandma's old bungalow in Hampton Bays. It is full of all this old slightly broken furniture and amazing handmade quilts and dusty photo albums and all of the china is somehow encrusted with rhinestones. I hold such fond memories of being there when I was younger and I feel so happy being there now because it reminds me of those times. I recently bought a perfume because it reminded me of the smell in my Grandma's basement. Now everyone else thinks I smell weird but at least I'm happy! Also anywhere with a swimming pool or an ocean, I love being near water. 
5. What would the ultimate art/studio space be like?
I would love to have a massive studio in Brooklyn with loads and loads of light and the walls covered in artwork by other artists and amazing antique furniture. I love the look of beach houses, where all the furniture is white and there are loads of antiques and flowers everywhere, I'd love that. Ooh or maybe a studio by the beach so I can go for a dip when my work starts to look a bit squiffy.
Why Won't You Love Me A3 Print
Yay, thank you so much Julia!  Your work is totally entrancing!  
**Make sure to visit Julia's shop here.  Stay tuned for the next Five Things with Amy Blackwell!

1 comment:

  1. Great interview! I love this series and Julia's work is some of my very favorite! And I can vividly remember the smell of my grandmother's closet where she used to keep all of her photo albums, a little musty, but so comforting.

    ReplyDelete